Monday, July 21, 2008

Bumpity Bump Bump

The problem with working for BNSF is that you get bumped from your job. If someone has higher seniority than you, and they got bumped, they can bump you and take your job. This happened to Leonard today. I guess there is a lady who is an employee and works on a traveling gang. Her husband, also an employee, died of a heart attack a month ago or so. So, she's comming home, and bumped Leonard from his job. Although there were 2 other guys that hired on the same day that he did, since he's the youngest, he's the low man on the pole. So, he submitted a bid to get onto a traveling crew that's in the area, and will be for a few months. Hopefully he gets it. In the mean time, he's going to go up to a place called Wolf Prarie. It's probably 2 hours from here, and in the middle of nowhere. I mean it's in the middle of the woods. All that's there are some railroad houses that are right on the tracks, and the office. So, I'm cleaning out the camper for him, and I think he's got to be up there by Wednesday. I guess all of the guys that he works with are pissed, because he is a really good worker. Always works hard, and has an awesome work ethic. They were going to start doing anchors next week. I'm not really sure what they are, I think that they "anchor" down the tracks between the ties. They have 19,000 to put in by hand. I don't know how the lady is going to do it, so good luck to her! They have 2 weeks to get them all put in, and that comes out to be 1500 a day per person. Yuck. I know I wouldn't want to do that.

1 comment:

Catie said...

I hope Leonard gets onto that crew. It would be nice for him not to get bumped again so I'm hoping for that too.